Thursday, November 22, 2012

#NHBPM 20 of 30 - Alternative treatments, etc.

Yeah, yeah - I missed a couple days.  That'll happen this time of year I suppose - trying to decorate for the holidays, preparing food and enjoying these 2 little people that God blessed me with.  Things are a LOT different around here compared to last year.

The day 20 prompt is "Write about alternative treatments / regimens / medicine. What do you support? What is crazy?"  Oh boy.  I don't want to offend any of my well meaning, heart in the right place, just trying to help me friends - so please do NOT get your feelings hurt.  If you think you are going to get your feelings hurt, click away and don't read any further.

Let me start off by saying that I support whatever people want to try.  GO FOR IT!  If you think it is going to help your disease then by all means, try it!  I've tried some "alternative" treatments and when I say alternatives I don't mean eating tree bark. I mean manipulating other systems in my body to try and lessen their effects on my GI/immune system. 

Essential oils, diet changes, diet restrictions, juicing, vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, etc.  I've heard pretty much all of them.  And I know there are more than that.  I appreciate that people are concerned about me and want what's best for me.  I really really really do.  But you know what?  Sometimes I've just had enough.

The inundation of these "miracle treatments" really hurts my feelings.  It is as if to say "that surgery you went through was not needed, you should have just tried (insert remedy here)".  It's hurtful, demeaning and condescending since I'm being honest.

My favorite thing about these treatments is that they most often are suggested by people who have NO IDEA what it is like to live with Crohns' disease/IBD.  My colon and rectum were turning INSIDE OUT and bleeding to the point I needed blood transfusions.  I was spending HOURS of my day running back and forth to the bathroom - most of the time in so much pain I couldn't even describe it.  I had lost SO much time with my kids, family and friends because of my health.  But yeah - I totally should have tried eating soaked tree bark.  Or vitamins.  Or sustaining my body solely on juice.  Or any of the NUMBER of things that have been presented to me over the years.

KNOW that I love each and every one of you who has suggested these things - and YES, they probably did work for so and so's cousin's best friends hairdresser to put a flare at bay.  It does NOT mean it cured them of Crohn's disease.  You know why?  Because there is NO CURE for Crohn's disease.  Your symptoms may wax/wane but they will always be there waiting to rise up at the most inappropriate times.

Find your silver lining and be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment