Thursday, November 1, 2012

WEGO #NHBPM 1 of 30 - Why I write about my health

I've been diagnosed with Crohn's disease for 9.5 years. For almost 9 of those years I didn't talk about it except with family and VERY close friends. I never really explained WHAT it as or HOW it affected me. I stood in the middle of a circle of friends and pulled a curtain around myself so no one could see.

I didn't want to show weakness. I didn't want to talk about my bathroom habits. I didn't want to worry people. I didn't want to let anyone down. I didn't want to do a lot of things.

Then things got bad for me. My disease was running my life and I couldn't get it back. I went looking for information and I found it. LOTS of it! There are multiple websites, blogs, facebook pages, etc. that focus on IBD - I had a wonderful time getting to know them all. Then I was able to narrow down the places where I felt comfortable. Where the atmosphere was good and where I wasn't afraid.

I realized there are more people out there like me - who for whatever reason haven't been able to open up about their disease. I don't want to force them to do that - but I want to be there when they decide to do it, I want to help them find the confidence that others helped me find. I want to advocate. I want to support. I want to help.

That is why I write about my health.

Well, and these three of course. I write so that other mom's, other military spouses, other women can see that there is someone out here they have something in common with OTHER than Crohn's disease!!

No comments:

Post a Comment