Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week starts tomorrow and we are so excited to celebrate it with everyone in our IBD family!
What is Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week?
As a result of a federal bill introduced by Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) and Congressman Andrew Crenshaw (R-FL-4) passed in 2011, Congress declared December 1-7 to be Crohn’s and Colitis Awareness Week to educate Americans about the diseases and encourage people to join in the effort to find a cure for IBD. This resolution was passed in thanks to some great Senators and Representatives who cosponsored it including:
· Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS)
· Senator Jack Reed (D-RI)
· Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
· Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)
· Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)
· Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
· Senator Richard Burr (R-NC)
· Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
· Congressman Rush Holt (D-NH-12)
· Congressman Jesse Jackson (D-IL-1)
· Congressman Pete King (R-NY-3)
· Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA-4)
· Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY-14)
· Congressman Jim McGovern (D-MA-3)
· Congressman Jim Moran (D-VA-8)
· Congressman Charlie Rangel (D-NY-15)
· Congressman Dennis Ross (R-FL-12)
· Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH-12)
· Congressman Adam Smith (D-WA-9)
Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis impact millions of people nationwide. We don’t have to tell you how debilitating these two incurable diseases can be- the cramping, the diarrhea, the constant urgency, the food limitations, and so on.
Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week is celebrated to make people aware of these diseases and raise money to bring us close to finding a cure.
How to celebrate this year
A group of Crohn’s and Colitis bloggers are coming together to celebrate this year with a Go Purple Challenge.
From December 1-7, we are going to wear an item of purple in honor of Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week. Whether it’s a shirt, bracelet, pants, socks, nail polish- it doesn’t matter as long as it’s visible and purple!
Each day, we are going to take a picture and post it on our blogs, Facebook, & Twitter to share with our followers to show our support of the Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week.
We are challenging all of you to join us!
Wear purple and take a photo of it each day and post it to your blog, Facebook, or Twitter with the hashtag [#GOpurple or #PurpleChallenge]. At the end of the week, we’ll compile all the photos on our blogs to share with everyone.
Want to celebrate but can’t participate in our challenge?
Check out the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America’s website for ideas- they have some great one’s listed for ways to participate in the week.
Happy Crohn’s & Colitis Awareness Week!
Rebecca (www.caringforcrohns.com, @caringforcrohns)
Sarah (www.myjourneywithcrohns.com, @SarahChoueiry)
Melissa (www.detouredfashion.blogspot.com, @allbluezoo)
Louise (www.youngcrohns.tumblr.com, @sapphire20)